The Greater Krotz Springs Port Commission was created by Act No 228 of the 1956 regular session of the Louisiana Legislature to regulate commerce and industry along the Atchafalaya River, and to construct and operate port facilities. A support staff manages the Port’s daily affairs to ensure operations run smoothly.
The Port Commission is responsible for 134 acres of Atchafalaya River waterfront property adjacent to State Highway 105, and one mile south of U.S. Highway 190, which the Port develops, markets, leases, administers, manages and maintains. Its jurisdiction includes approximately 400 acres and stretches along the riverfront from the intersection of Main St. and Levee Rd. and southward all the way to the end of Frank Diesi Rd. The Port’s operating portfolio is comprised of over 30 aboveground storage tanks, industrial and maritime leases, warehouse and office facilities, and fishing and hunting leases.
Jacqué Pucheu has supported his community by providing legal council for St. Landry Parish, the City of Eunice and the Port of Krotz Springs.
The Port of Krotz Springs is governed by a Board of Commissioners consisting of 11 members who are appointed for varying terms by diverse appointing authorities within St. Landry Parish, including the City of Opelousas (2), the City of Eunice (2), the Town of Krotz Springs (2), the St. Landry Parish Municipal Association (2) and the St. Landry Parish Government (3).